The California Historical Society welcomes visits from K-12 schools, colleges and universities, after school programs, and alternative educational institutions. Our volunteer docents lead engaging and participatory tours of our exhibitions. To arrange for a tour for your class, please complete our Class Visit Booking Form at least two weeks prior to your desired date.
Class Visit Tickets
*One chaperone is required for every ten students on a tour, and is admitted for free. Additional chaperones may attend for $10 each.
Payment is due upon confirmation of the tour date and size of group. Group tour tickets are not refundable.
Please contact us with any questions at email@example.com.
- Our exhibitions change several times per year. Please learn about our current exhibition before booking your visit.
- Plan your visit at least two weeks in advance.
- We do not have a location for groups to eat lunch, and food and beverages are not allowed inside the exhibition. The nearby Yerba Buena Gardens is an excellent place to eat lunch or have a break.
- Explore our online resources, including our Teaching California curriculum project, Digital Library, and blog.
- Please review our Plan Your Visit page for information about getting to CHS, including recommended driving routes and transit information.
- CHS is located in the busy South of Market neighborhood of San Francisco, and we do not maintain our own parking facilities. There is no bus parking on site, but there is a loading zone in front of our facility on Mission Street.
During Your Visit
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of your tour.
- The group leader or a chaperone should check in with Visitor Services upon arrival.
- Name tags for tour participants are helpful.
- If you’re running late or need to cancel, please call us at 415.357.1848 x 210.