Thank you for your interest in preserving history!
The California Historical Society (CHS) is not currently accepting donations to our collections. Please check this page for updates. In the meantime, we recognize that you want to give your artifacts a good home so we hope that the following information is of use to you:
Information on donating materials to a repository see The Society of American Archivists pages:
- Donating Your Personal or Family Records to a Repository: https://www2.archivists.org/publications/brochures/donating-familyrecs
- Donating Your Organization’s Records to a Repository: https://www2.archivists.org/publications/brochures/donating-orgrecs
Information about other California libraries, archives and museums that accept donations:
- California State Library: https://library.ca.gov/donations/
- Autry Museum of the American West: https://theautry.org/research-collections/donating-collection
- Center for Sacramento History: http://www.centerforsacramentohistory.org/about/donations
- Oakland Museum of California: https://museumca.org/faqs-contact-us/#how-do-i-donate-artworks-artifacts-or-specimens
- San Diego History Center: https://sandiegohistory.org/research/donate-an-artifact/
- For materials relating specifically to the history of San Francisco we recommend looking into the History Center at the San Francisco Public Library Information for Donors page: https://sfpl.org/locations/main-library/sf-history-center/information-donors
- Additionally, we recommend that you look into your local historical society, museum, or library to learn about their collecting scope and policy.
Unsolicited Donations: We are unable to accept any unsolicited donations. Please do not bring or send any items or artifacts to CHS. CHS reserves the right to dispose of any unsolicited materials received at its site.
Appraisals: CHS staff are unable to appraise or authenticate items or collections. For these questions, please visit the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) website.