Winner of the 2013 California Historical Society Book Award
$5 General Admission | Free for CHS & Heyday Members
Join us at our San Francisco headquarters to meet author Jeremy Rosenberg and discuss this important book that tells how the Los Angeles-based Metabolic Studio team transformed the Spring Street underpass into a vibrantly creative space that served as a public square, ceremonial ground, art gallery, community garden, and musical instrument.
Jeremy Rosenberg is a Los Angeles-based writer and editor who has been published in dozens of online and printed books, newspapers, and magazines. A former employee of the Los Angeles Times and the Annenberg Foundation, he is now an assistant dean at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.
Enjoy Third Thursdays at CHS, when our galleries are open to the public for free from 5:00pm to 8:00pm. This Thursday’s special event begins at 6:00pm with an introduction by CHS archivists to an hour-long screening from the CHS home movie collection, including such Bay Areas scenes as the aftermath of the 1906 earthquake, the building and celebration of the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge, and footage of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition, all accompanied by music selected by our archivists.
In partnership with the California Audiovisual Preservation Project
Free event with RSVP: https://h4hpdecember.eventbrite.com
$5 General Admission at the door
Come to the California Historical Society every second Saturday of the month to make crafts, build, and dive into California history.
This month’s activities:
- Wish your family and friends holiday cheer with holiday cards made at our Crafty Card Station.
- Proclaim your love for the holidays by creating your own celebratory banner.
- Didn't get to thank your California hero? Contribute to our ongoing art project.
- Add your personal touch to the Yosemite landscape by contributing to our Yosemite Build Craft project.
- Dress up as a Yosemite Adventurer at our Costume Corner!